U.S. Women’s National Team head coach Jill Ellis has named 19 players for the meeting with Switzerland on Wednesday, Aug. 20, at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina. The match, which has been sold out since July 25, will kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on ussoccer.com.
- Jill Ellis will name 18 players among the 19 to suit up for the match.
- Switzerland will be the 25th European country that the USA has faced in its history, although several of those countries no longer exist.
- The game on Aug. 20 will be the sixth time the U.S. Women have played at WakeMed Soccer Park, but the first since the venue was expanded to seat 10,000 fans. It will be the first sell-out.
- The U.S. Women have previously played 11 matches in North Carolina – five in Cary, two in Charlotte, three in Davidson and one in Greensboro.
- The USA comes into the match with a 7-2-3 record in 2014.
- The five U.S. strikers have scored a combined 31 goals in the NWSL this season, although Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach have missed significant parts of the season due to injury and Christen Press will have played less than half the season’s matches after returning from her time in Europe.
- The USA’s five NWSL midfielders have actually outscored the forwards, combining for 35 goals, even though Megan Rapinoe has played just a handful of games for Seattle Reign FC.
- Should Christie Rampone play in the match it would be her 295th cap, meaning she would have a chance to hit 300 during the 2014 CONCACAF Women’s Championship in October.