Hope Solo became the first goalkeeper in international history to earn 100 international shutouts as the U.S. Women’s National Team defeated South Africa, 1-0 in the first meeting between the two teams. With the win, the USWNT remains unbeaten after 14 games in 2016.
USA – Crystal Dunn (Mallory Pugh), 35th minute: Mallory Pugh carried the ball down the left flank and into the penalty area to the end line. Her left-footed cross bounced through traffic and across the face of the goal to a patient Dunn at the far post. Dunn finished with confidence from four yards out for her ninth goal of the year. Pugh’s assist marks her team-leading seventh in her debut year.USA 1, RSA 0
- The USA improved to 13-0-1 on the year, including 12 shutouts while allowing just four goals.
- Today’s game marked the first meeting between the U.S. WNT and South Africa in the history of the programs at any level of women’s soccer.
- Carli Lloyd came on for Lindsey Horan at halftime, marking her first appearance since April 10 after suffering a sprained MCL with the NWSL’s Houston Dash on April 23.
- Ali Krieger subbed in for Alex Morgan in the 68th minute, Whitney Engen replaced Julie Johnston in the 81st minute, Heather O’Reilly came in for Kelley O’Hara in the 83rd minute and Samantha Mewis subbed in for Mallory Pugh in the 87th minute.
- Morgan Brian, Megan Rapinoe, Tobin Heath, Gina Lewandowski and Ashlyn Harris did not suit up for the match.
- Dunn’s ninth goal of 2016 trails only Alex Morgan (11) for the team lead.
- Heather O’Reilly earned her 230th cap for the USA. Lloyd earned her 223rd.
- Ali Krieger earned her 90th
Date: July 9, 2016
Competition: International Friendly
Venue: Soldier Field; Chicago, Illinois
Kickoff: 12:30 p.m. CT
Weather: 75 degrees, sunny
USA 1 0 1
RSA 0 0 0
USA: 1-Hope Solo; 5-Kelley O’Hara (9-Heather O’Reilly, 83), 8-Julie Johnston (6-Whitney Engen, 81), 4-Becky Sauerbrunn (capt.), 7-Meghan Klingenberg; 23-Allie Long, 12-Christen Press, 20-Lindsey Horan (10-Carli Lloyd, 46); 16-Crystal Dunn, 13-Alex Morgan (11-Ali Krieger, 68), 2-Mallory Pugh (3-Samantha Mewis, 87)
Subs not used: 21-Alyssa Naeher, 22-Emily Sonnett
Head Coach: Jill Ellis
Subs not used: 16-Andile Dlamini, 23-Kaylin Swart, 6-Mamello Makhabane, 7-Nomathemba Ntsibande, 10-Silindile Ngubane, 22-Lebogang Mabatle
Head Coach: Vera Pauw
Shots: 18 / 4
Shots on Goal: 6 / 2
Saves: 2 / 4
Corner Kicks: 10 / 2
Fouls: 11 / 10
Offside: 2 / 2
USA – Meghan Klingenberg (caution) 84th minute
RSA – Nompumelelo Nyandeni (caution) 90+2