Reigning FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year Carli Lloyd led the U.S. Women’s National Team to a 5-1 win against Switzerland on an another record-setting day in front of a crowd of 23,400 fans at Minneapolis’ U.S. Bank Stadium, the largest to watch the U.S. Women in the state of Minnesota.
- The win improves the USA’s record to 20-0-2 in 2016 and 4-0-0 all-time vs. Switzerland.
- Ashlyn Harris earned her second start in goal of the year and earned her 10th cap.
- Casey Short and Andi Sullivan both made their second consecutive starts to earn their second caps. Both played 90 minutes.
- Kelley O’Hara picked up her 11th career assist on Carli Lloyd’s first goal.
- Carli Lloyd now has 33 goals in her last 34 goals starting with the Round of 16 game at the World Cup.
- Lloyd finished one goal short of tying her record for most goals in a calendar year. She scored 18 in 2015.
- Sullivan earned her first WNT assist, setting up Christen Press’ goal.
- Lynn Williams started her first career match and also earned her first assist, setting up Crystal Dunn’s goal.
- Dunn’s goal was her 13th of the year, third best of the U.S. team this year, and it was her 17th overall in 43 caps.
- Abby Dahlkemper earned her second cap when she replaced Becky Sauerbrunn in the 67th minute.
- Switzerland’s goal was just the ninth given up by the USA this year.
- The USA played in a 3-5-2 formation for the second match in a row with Allie Long playing center back.
Date: October 23, 2016
Competition: International Friendly
Venue: U.S. Bank Stadium; Minneapolis, Minn.
USA 1 4 5
SUI 1 0 1
USA – Carli Lloyd (Kelley O’Hara) 25
USA – Carli Lloyd 51
USA – Christen Press (Andi Sullivan) 53
USA – Crystal Dunn (Lynn Williams) 63
USA – Kealia Ohai (Christen Press) 82
USA: 24-Ashlyn Harris; 4-Becky Sauerbrunn (14-Abby Dahlkemper, 67), 20-Allie Long, 8-Casey Short; 5-Kelley O’Hara (23-Christen Press, 46), 19-Andi Sullivan, 6-Morgan Brian (3-Samantha Mewis, 46), 16-Crystal Dunn (7-Kealia Ohai, 81), 17-Tobin Heath; 10-Carli Lloyd (capt.) (9-Lindsey Horan, 74), 13-Lynn Williams
Subs not used: 1-Alyssa Naeher, 12-Emily Sonnett
Head Coach: Jill Ellis
Subs not used: 21-Seraina Friedli, 16-Fabienne Humm, 23-Barla Deplazes
Head Coach: Martina Voss-Tecklenburg
Shots: 21 / 4
Shots on Goal: 9 / 2
Saves: 1 / 5
Corner Kicks: 9 / 0
Fouls: 7 / 14
Offside: 11 / 2
SUI – Sandrine Mauron (caution) 17th minute
SUI – Viola Calligaris (caution) 21
USA – Casey Short (caution) 73
SUI – Martina Moser (caution) 90+3
Referee: Margaret Domka (USA)
Assistant Referee 1: Chantal Boudreau (CAN)
Assistant Referee 2: Marie-Han Gagnon (CAN)
4th Official: Danielle Chesky (USA)