The U.S. Men’s National Team fell apart defensively in the second half in San Jose, Costa Rica. They lost 4-0 in the first away qualifier of the Final Round of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying. They U.S. has never won a World Cup qualifier in Costa Rica.
CRC – Johan Venegas (Christian Bolaños), 44th minute: After an even first half, Costa Rica broke through just before the break. Randall Azofeifa played a looping ball over the top that Bolaños chased down in the left corner. With space to work, he held up before sending a pinpoint cross for Johan Venegas. The Montreal Impact attacker met the ball at the near post, where he directed a header down past Brad Guzan into the center of the goal. CRC 1, USA 0
- The result sees the USA finish 2016 with a 12-6-1 record.
- The MNT moves to 6-9-3 vs. Costa Rica in World Cup Qualifying and 0-9-1 all-time in qualifiers played on Costa Rican soil.
- Jozy Altidore earned his 33rd career World Cup Qualifying cap for the MNT, moving him into a tie for third all-time with DaMarcus Beasley and Tim Howard. The 27-year-old forward ends 2017 with 99 all-time appearances for the USA.
- Timmy Chandler and Jermaine Jones both picked up their second yellow cards of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying, which will see them serve a one-match suspension in the USA’s Matchday 3 home date with Honduras on March 28, 2017.
- Lynden Gooch made his World Cup Qualifying debut for the MNT when he entered for Christian Pulisic in the 70th minute. The substitute appearance officially cap ties him to the USA.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress for the U.S. MNT due to a tight left hamstring.
- MNT head coach Jurgen Klinsmann deployed a four-man back line which featured Timmy Chandler at right back, Omar Gonzalez and Matt Besler as the tandem in central defense and Matt Besler at left back.
- From right to left, the four-man midfield was Christian Pulisic, Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones and Fabian Johnson.
- Jozy Altidore and Bobby Wood started together up front for the fifth time in 2016.
Date: Nov. 15, 2016
Competition: 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia – Qualifier
Venue: Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica; San Jose, Costa Rica
Kickoff: 9 p.m. ET
Attendance: 35,400 (so)
Weather: 69 degrees; Mostly cloudy
USA 0 0 0
CRC 1 3 4
CRC – Cristian Bolaños (Bryan Ruiz) 68
CRC – Joel Campbell 74
CRC – Joel Campbell (Ronald Matarrita) 78
USA: 1-Brad Guzan; 21-Timmy Chandler, 3-Omar Gonzalez, 6-John Brooks, 5-Matt Besler; 23-Fabian Johnson (19-Graham Zusi, 77), 4-Michael Bradley (capt.), 13-Jermaine Jones (16-Sacha Kljestan, 74), 10-Christian Pulisic (11-Lynden Gooch, 70); 17-Jozy Altidore, 7-Bobby Wood
Subs: 12-Ethan Horvath, 22-William Yarbrough, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 8-Alan Gordon, 9-Aron Johannsson, 14-Michael Orozco, 15-Steve Birnbaum, 18-Julian Green, 20-Cameron Carter-Vickers
Head coach: Jurgen Klinsmann
Subs: 18-Patrick Pemberton, 23-Leonel Moreira, 6-Pablo Salazar, 8-Bryan Oviedo, 9-Ariel Rodríguez, 15-Allan Miranda, 16-Leonardo González, 20-David Guzmán, 21-Marco Ureña
Head coach: Óscar Ramírez
Shots: 6 / 15
Shots on Goal: 1 / 9
Saves: 4 / 1
Corner Kicks: 4 / 2
Fouls: 13 / 12
Offside: 2 / 1
CRC – José Salvatierra (caution) 9th minute
USA – Timmy Chandler (caution) 11
USA – Jermaine Jones (caution) 37
CRC – Johnny Acosta (caution) 51
USA – Michael Bradley (caution) 55
USA – Jozy Altidore (caution) 71