Already assured of winning its group, the U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team defeated El Salvador 1-0 behind Zyen Jones‘ fifty second-minute strike to close out Group C play with a perfect 3-0-0 record at the 2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship.
With a spot in Classification Stage Group D secured, U.S. head coach John Hackworth shuffled his starters for the match against Los Cuscatlecos drafting eight players into the lineup for their first start of the tournament.
Even with all the personnel changes, the U.S. did not miss a beat, controlling long passages of play and carving out chances with regularity throughout the match. The defense and goalkeeper C.J. dos Santos did their part as well, limiting El Salvador to just three shots on goal en route to recording the USA’s second clean sheet of the competition.
With a full nine points from three wins, the U.S. is one of only two teams including Group B winner Costa Rica to sport a perfect 3-0-0 record heading into the Classification Stage. Mexico and Jamaica face off later in the Group C finale for the last available spot in the Classification Stage, where the winner will face Group A winner Panama and Costa Rica in Group E.
|2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship Group C|
|x-Qualified for Classification Stage|
Goal Scoring Rundown:
USA – Zyen Jones (Bryan Reynolds), 52nd minute: The U.S. broke down the right sideline as Reynolds was played into space. With plenty of time to pick out a pass, Reynolds whipped a low cross along the top of the six-yard box. Making a quick run toward the back post, Jones sped past two defenders to meet the cross and send a side-footed shot over charging El Salvador goalkeeper Jario Guardado into the roof of the net. USA 1, SLV 0 FINAL
- With the result, John Hackworth moves to 8-1-1 all-time in U-17 World Cup Qualifying matches.
- The USA holds a commanding 8-0-1 record vs. El Salvador and a 31-5 edge in goals.
- Goalkeeper C.J. dos Santos, midfielders Taylor Booth and Adrian Villegas as well as forwards Zyen Jones and Bryan Reynolds were all named to the starting XI and saw their first action of the tournament for the U.S.
- Additionally, defenders Indiana Vassilev and Akil Watts as well as forward Tim Weah, who had seen substitutes minutes earlier in the competition, were all handed their first start.
- Jones’ goal was his first of the tournament and sixth in his time with the U.S. U-17 MNT.
- Josh Sargent and Ayo Akinola both have three goals at the CONCACAF U-17 Championship, just one behind Honduras’ Carlos Mejía in the race for the tournament’s Golden Boot.
- Sargent leads all players at the competition with two assists.
- With Sargent on the bench, Hackworth turned to Chris Durkin to captain the side on the day for the USA.
- Andrew Carleton came on for the USA in the 62nd minute for Jones for his third appearance of the competition.
– U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team Match Report –
Match: U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team vs. El Salvador
Date: April 29, 2017
Competition: 2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship – Group C
Venue: Estadio Maracaná de Panamá; Panamá City, Panamá
Kickoff: 6 p.m. ET
Weather: 82 degrees, mostly cloudy
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 0 1 1
SLV 0 0 0
USA – Zyen Jones (Bryan Reynolds) 52nd minute
USA: 12-C.J. Dos Santos; 13-Akil Watts, 4-James Sands, 6-Chris Durkin (capt.), 18-Indiana Vassilev; 20-Adrian Villegas, 16-Taylor Booth, 10-George Acosta (14-Chris Goslin, 71); 19-Tim Weah, 15-Zyen Jones (11-Andrew Carleton, 62), 17-Bryan Reynolds
Subs not used: 1-Justin Garces; 2-Jaylin Lindsey; 5-A.J. Vasquez, 7-Ayo Akinola, 8-Blaine Ferri, 9-Josh Sargent
Not available: 3-Chris Gloster
Head coach: John Hackworth
SLV: 1-Jairo Guardado; 2-Kevin Menjivar, 4-Diego Chevez, 6-Ever Guzman (capt.) (7-Fernando Villalta, 75), 8-Jorge Cruz, 9-Ronald Cerritos, 10-Denis Garcia, 13-Roberto Lopez, 15-Andy Alas, 17-Mauricio Gomez (12-Rodrigo Santamaria, 71), 20-Diego Guatemala (16-Allexon Saravia, 15)
Subs not used: 3-Erick Cartagena, 5-Giovanni Avila, 11-Rolando Ramirez, 14-Christian Barillas, 18-Tomas Romero, 19-Sergio Ramirez
Head coach: Erick Prado
Stats Summary: USA / SLV
Shots: 18 / 14
Shots on Goal: 7 / 3
Saves: 3 / 6
Corner Kicks: 6 / 3
Fouls: 13 / 23
Offside: 2 / 0
SLV – Roberto Lopez (caution) 53rd minute
USA – Indiana Vassilev (caution) 57
USA – Taylor Booth (caution) 86
Referee: Michele Rodriguez (CUB)
Assistant Referee 1: Jesus Tabora (HON)
Assistant Referee 2: Eugene Farro (ARU)
4th Official: Gladwyn Johnson (GUY)